11.13.2015

Holiday Fun: Leander Snowflake

I am great at procrastinating.  I could win metals.  Seriously, if there is a deadline, you can believe me that I will with every intention start way in advance and find a way to procrastinate until the last second.  Hopefully you are not like me, but in case you are, I will be posting a little series this holiday on quick gifts and notions you can make in one night.  Perfect for those teacher gifts when you realize at 9pm that tomorrow is the last day before the holiday break (yup, that's me!).  Or when you get a facebook reminder at 8am that its your friends birthday today and you are seeing her for lunch at 1pm (again, me).  Or when suddenly its the day before your big Hanukkah/ Christmas party and you have no decorations anywhere (again, us).   Hopefully, the series will be perfect for me too, so that in the end I will have all those gifts I so badly need on hand!

Today I have a snowflake pattern for you that is perfect for quick jewelry (like earring or a necklace) or strung together to make a cute banner or starched for a great ornament.  It is one of my favorite because all the loops are simple chains and it flies off your hook.  Hope you enjoy!

Leander Snowflake




Ch 9, sl st to first ch to form ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 23 dc in ring, sl st to top of tch, do not turn.  (24 dc)
Rnd 2: *[Sl st, ch 4, sl st in 3rd ch, ch 6, sl st in 5th ch, 2 tr, ch 7, sl st in 7th ch, ch 9, sl st in 9th ch, ch 7, sl st in 7th ch, 2 tr, ch 5, sl st in 5th ch, ch 4, sl st in 3rd ch, ch 1, sl st] all in next dc, sl st to next 3 dc; rep from * around, fasten off. (6 petals)

ch- chain
sl st- slip stitch
dc- double crochet
tr- treble crochet

Note: not all picots (ch, then sl st) are the same.  I encourage you to try changing how and where you slip stitch to check out the results.  Placing the slip stitch in the back ridge of a chain make a perfect bump in the chain.  Placing the slip stitch in the front loop of the chain makes the chain lay flat, Placing the slip stitch in the front loop plus a strand of the post of the previous stitch makes the picot attached to the stitch.  All are very cool and worth to test out.  No way is one better then the other, just pick your favorite and have fun!

Looking for more snowflakes?  I have a bunch in my book Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia.  
Looking for ideas on transforming these to jewelry?  You can check out my Annie's class, Learn to Crochet Jewelry for ideas for jewelry and beyond.

No comments: